Pre-Prep is a small and homely department run by a dedicated team of inspirational and caring Teachers and Teaching Assistants.
Two members of the teaching body have been awarded with an Early Years Professional Status, and this, alongside our Outstanding inspection grading enables Wellow House Pre-Prep to be a beacon school. We offer excellent individual education in a superb setting and our recent Forest Schools accreditation has led to our magnificent grounds being used to even greater advantage.aIf you wanted to sum up in a single list why the current parents of Wellow choose to send their children to us for their education, the main reasons are as follows:
- We are a family orientated prep-school that is small enough for every child to have a chance to find their unique talents and individually shine.
- We are small enough so that every member of staff knows and interacts with every individual pupil and gains an understanding of their strengths and weaknesses so they each feel better nurtured and supported.
- We have small class sizes to enable one-on-one attention and a promise to split classes if they get too large. Our average class size is 15 pupils.
- Pupils interact with friends from different age groups across the school on the playground, in sport and performing arts. The smaller class sizes are excellent for focussing on academic work but do not reduce any interaction and enjoyment with a wider group of friends throughout the day.
- We are focussed on subject-specific teaching from Year 4 with some subject specifics, like Music, Art, and French, being introduced at Year 2. The children benefit from the trust and the responsibility of moving themselves around the school to their timetabled subject classrooms.
- We are one of the few truly independent preparatory schools in the region as opposed to being a ‘feeder’ for a specific school. Our advice on the best secondary school for individuals is therefore completely unbiased. We have longstanding relationships with a vast number of independent and grammar schools and an exemplary success rate of scholarships and head pupils within these.
- We provide tailored advice on selecting the right senior school for an individual child’s needs. There is no uniformly perfect secondary school for children and it is important that the choice of school best mirrors the requirements of your child to enable them to reach their full potential. In a child’s earlier years, it is difficult to know what their passions and needs will be as they reach their teens and Wellow enables them to ‘find themselves’ before they are committed to a certain path.
- Happiness is as important to us as academic achievement. We balance work with giving children a fun childhood, for example, abandoning work for an hour and building snowmen following a rare snow flurry. Our children really enjoy being Wellovians and speak fondly with pride of their experiences for the rest of their lives.
- Wellow children are kind, well-rounded people and generally good citizens. It is impossible to understand this without talking to some of them but when they talk so articulately, with such confidence and depth of feeling the benefits of being able to thrive in the Wellow environment becomes apparent.
- We have sports fixtures with other schools every Wednesday afternoon throughout the Prep-school, that parents are welcome to come along and support. We also have the benefit of professional coaches attending the school to support the children’s learning.
- We are one of the few schools in the region who coach our Year 8 pupils for the Common Entrance exam so they have the benefit of a real exam environment and learn the revision techniques that best suit them before they sit their GCSEs. We have a 100% success rate. We provide additional coaching for Common Entrance and/or the 11+ should any child require this.
Children may join the Pre-Prep from their third birthday onwards to Year 2. Places are limited and are allocated on a ‘first come, first served’ basis so we recommend registering your child’s place as early as possible. To apply, please complete the application form below or to visit us and look around, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Children from the Pre-Prep will normally pass into the Prep Department automatically at Year 3 (age 7). In addition to this, we do have new pupils join the school into various year groups from Year 3 onwards. The main intake is from September but children may be admitted part way through the academic year if places are available. Wellow is not academically selective but children entering the Prep department will be assessed to allow them to be placed into the correct set.
Applying for a Place
An application form for all pupils should be completed and returned to school with a non-refundable registration fee of £100. On receipt of this, an acceptance letter and form will be issued. Once the acceptance form is returned, together with a £350 acceptance fee refundable against the child’s final term in the school, a place will be confirmed for the relevant date of entry.
If you would like to make an appointment to visit Wellow or request further details, please do not hesitate to contact us.
No parents with a talented child should feel that Wellow is necessarily beyond their means. A percentage of pupils currently at the school are receiving financial support, and some of them are paying substantially reduced fees. Financial support can come through a scholarship or a bursary or a combination of the two.